Wednesday 3 December 2014

Unit 2 Part A: Establish the project creative purpose

This section includes:

  • My project plan- aims/objectives
In the filming of the film 'The Virus' I played the part of a boom operator. This roll was perfect for me as it broadened my knowledge of sound in films. Being the boom operator gave me the roll of recording sound along side the sound recordist. This was an important roll as if you had no sound in film then it would be a silent film or you'd have to add folly sounds or dubbed sounds, so recording the sound correctly was vital as it mad a big impact when coming to the editing process as it would make it harder to edit shots together if the sound does not sound the same. 
A boom operators job is simple but can not be done by just anyone, it may be simple but is a huge part in the making of the film. During the shoots I found that you have to be watching a be observing at all times, ready for the voice to project in a different direction and know how to move and aim the boom to capture that sound clearly and correctly. Jessica was the sound recordist and she helped and guided me to record the best sounds and when to stop recording, for example if there was an aeroplane goin gover we would have to stop that because the boom would pick that sound up much moree and better than the actors speaking, which is weird when you think about it as the plane is miles away compared to the actors. You also need to have some relative upper body strength to be able to hold the boom up for a long period of time if needed, if you can't hold the boom up right properly then you'll have to cut the shot and either re shoot or carry on when you left off, but more work and concentration to the shot transition will be needed when coming to the editing part. 

I was also the VFX co-ordinator so during the shooting I was also looking out for continuity errors and other visual effect that could be visible during the screening of the film. The two rolls that I got given fitted me perfectly as I was managed the boom operating with easy and larnt about a different aspect of filming that I have never done before and learn about sound. being the VFX coordinator made me feel I had more of a part when coming to the editing of the film, which is the part that I enjoyed a lot, wouldn't say more than the actual filming of it as I loved being on set seeing the actors and the cast a crew working together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment